Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Next Car: The Pontiac G8?

With the current worldwide recession, I highly doubt that Alfa Romeo will be coming State-side anytime soon. That means I won't be replacing my Honda Accord Euro with an Alfa 159 saloon.

So what should I get? I've had my eye on the Pontiac G8 GT for a couple of weeks now. Have you had your V8 today?

The Pontiac G8 is built in Australia and is essentially the Holden VE Commodore. In Britain, it is rebadged as the Vauxhall VXR8. The 6 liter V8 in the Pontiac has 361 hp and 385 lb-ft of torque. It can reach 60 in 5.3 seconds and does the standing quarter mile in under 14 seconds at over 100 mph.

It is, in essence, a poor man's BMW M5. There are no gadgets or electronic wizardry. It's just about cubic inches. The styling is almost awful and there is no manual gearbox option. Plus, the interior is a little chinsy. But man, is it cheap. A new one can be had for U.S. $28,000 (18,721 pounds or 22,392 euros). I just found a used one, with 5,000 miles, selling for U.S. $24,988 (16,707 pounds or 19,982 euros). That's CHEAP! Blame it on poor styling, poorer marketing, and the even poorer U.S. economy.


Fifth Gear: Vauxhall VXR8 versus Lotus Carlton


Pontiac G8 Spyhunter ad

CKY

No comments: