Saturday, May 10, 2008

El Yucateco Xxxtra Hot Habanero Sauce


While perusing The Drudge Report this morning, I came upon a picture of Obama eating at Luis' Taqueria in Woodburn, Oregon. To his left was a small bottle of sauce with a blue label. It is a bottle of El Yucateco Xxxtra Hot Habanero Sauce. The only other place I've seen it offered is at my favorite weekend breakfast joint, El Kaliente, on the Dam road in El Sobrante.


It is hot. I use it sparingly. I dab smaller-than-a-dime sized drops of it on my rice, beans, eggs, and chorizo. It does not have that sweet or vinegary taste like other, more popular sauces at Mexican restaurants. It doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, sweat, cry, or run for a glass of water. But it definitely lingers in the back of your mouth and reminds you: Si senor/senorita, you've just had some hot hot sauce.

I am in a race against time. Eventually, age, stress, and the massive consumption of hot sauces will burn holes through my GI system. Until then, I will savor every bite.

Hotness is measured in Scoville units. Here are some popular sauces and their hotness ratings:
Tapatio: 1500-2500
Sriracha: 2200
Tabasco: 2500-5000
Cholula: 3600
El Yucateco: 11600

CKY

No comments: