Friday, March 05, 2021

My Daily Driver: @Brouxir's Cadillac Cimarron


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

I was raised in the back seat of a 1987 Chevy Cavalier. My parents loved to travel and we did so very often in that car. I remember many long trips in that back seat. This was before belts mattered and were required (the 1980's were a wild time!) so I just had the whole back seat to myself to be a kid in.

I've been collecting old GM cars since the dawn of the new millennium. I remember when cars like this were ubiquitous and all over the road. Every form of these cars I recall seeing at one point or another. Then one day *POOF* they vanished in a sea of modern bubble cars that all  look the same.

They said this about these though, in their time, that they all "looked alike"

I've been on a personal search for a nice Cavalier or Cimarron for over 20 years now, and this one basically fell in my lap from a collector friend. He purchased it, had it hauled to his home and found it was not in the shape he was told it was in, so some back and forth, I decided to buy the car regardless of condition.

This was a goal car and I didn't care what it looked like.

2. What has your ownership experience been like?

Excellent! Despite the advanced age of this car now in 2021, it's been extremely dependable for me since I purchased it at the end of 2020. It features a 2.8L 60 Degree V6 engine and a TH125c Three Speed transmission.

More or less, it's a Chevy! As such, it's very reliable, and fun to drive. It handles very well; It's very nimble. The V6 engine in such a small body is a wonder in itself to drive, it feels like it has way more power then you would think a car of this age would have.


3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

The day I went to look at it. After a couple weeks of back and forth conversation and a few cruddy night shot pictures, I went to look at the car at my buddies car dealer, where he works. It was sunday so the dealer was closed but he said the car was around back waiting for me to come look, to see if I wanted it.

I fell in love with it the moment I saw it, looked it over, and I was hooked from the very second I sat in the drivers seat.

4. Why do you love cars?

While normally just a means to an end, point A to point B for most; To me, cars represent the ultimate in freedom. I can get in my little antique metal machine and take it anywhere I want to go, anytime I want. Just me, my tiny Cadillac and the open road ahead of me.

---

If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun! 

No comments: