Sunday, March 21, 2021

Live and Let Die movie review

Moore makes his Bond debut!


Dave's review: Live and Let Die, in my opinion, is one of the most unique and refreshing Bond films. Ok, now I know there are going to be lots of charges of racism and stereotyping, but if you put that aside and just enjoy what you see, you'll realize Live and Let Die is a breath of fresh air. First of all, obviously, you have a new 007, Roger Moore, who seems comfortable in his own skin and doesn't try at all to be like his predecessor. The more intimate story, set in Harlem and New Orleans is a nice change of pace from several consecutive globe trotting adventures. Jane Seymour, as Solitaire, is stunning. The way Bond tricks her with her cards to devirginize her is one of the most memorable and of course pretty outrageous scenes in the film. You have a huge henchman named Tiny, another with a hook for an arm, and numerous people who are not what they seem. The only thing that slows things down is an interminable boat chase with the over the top J.W. Pepper. The ending on the Caribbean island where Bond attempts to rescue Solitaire is one of the absolute best. Long live the crocodile! 

TT's review: I can’t tell if I like or dislike this movie. It’s certainly more modern than the Connery films, almost like the transition from black and white film to color. In the opening gun barrel sequence, Moore was not wearing a hat!

Having grown up with Bond in the 80s, I’m not used to seeing a younger Moore. It was nice to see the inside of his home in this film.


Coincidentally, as I watched it last night, news broke of Yaphet Kotto’s passing. His performance was so-so. I really liked him in Homicide: Life on the Street. In Live and Let Die, he wasn’t fooling anyone while disguised as Mr. Big. And his ballooning death was absurd.


The highlight of the movie for me was the beautiful boat chase, featuring JW Pepper. He was quite the clown and a very unflattering caricature of a Southerner. 

Dave's response: It is interesting to see the inside of Bond's place for the first time. And yes I remember when I first watched this film, I figured from the very beginning that Mr. Big and Kananga were the same character. 

TT's response: I agree that the movie was unique. I know the boat chase was very incongruous with the rest of the film, but I liked it!

Dave's grade: A-

TT's grade: B-


No comments: