Monday, October 19, 2015

An afternoon in Downtown LA

As a kid growing up in suburban (and safe) Orange County, I was forbidden from going to (dangerous) Los Angeles. Yesterday, I visited downtown LA and had a great time.

The first stop was The Broad Museum. Tract home mega-developer Eli Broad has an eclectic contemporary art collection and it's on display at the new museum next to the Walt Disney Concert Hall. I'm not an art connoisseur, but I thoroughly enjoyed everything. Plus, it's free! Here are my favorites:

Thomas Struth:

Semi-Submersible Rig:

Florence Gallery Audience:




Jeff Wall's Dead Troops Talk (Red Army In Afghanistan):

I then met up with a friend at the remodeled Clifton Cafeteria. The line for food was 50 deep, so we settled for a cocktail at the bar.


We then walked over to Cole's for a French dip. Cole's and the nearby Philippe both claim to be the inventor of the sandwich. Mine, with tater tots, did not disappoint.


2 comments:

Ed Kim said...

The Broad was absolutely spectacular. I don't even know where to start. We did Clifton's too a few weeks back (re-opening weekend, actually), and I'm definitely a fan of Cole's over Philippe's. Did you happen to bring your #100ThingsLA book? ;)

Maxichamp said...

@Ed: I totally forgot about the book!