Saturday, July 04, 2009

Casper's Hot Dogs Versus Kasper's Hot Dogs

For some reason, I've been on a hot dog kick this summer. I've already discussed the anthropomorphic hot dogs of Chicago and incorrectly predicted Kobayashi beating Chestnut at the Nathan's hot dog eating contest.

Well, check back here often this summer. Among other things, I'll be sharing my view of Chicago's Superdawg.

But the real meat of the hot dog series will be about Casper's and Kasper's Hot Dogs in the East Bay. Although we all know that Berkeley's Top Dog is the best, I'm going to go into the Casper's/Kasper's story.

Today, my plan was to go to the Casper's on C Street in Hayward and then eat at the only Kasper's (on MacArthur) and write a comparison between the two. Unfortunately, Kasper's was closed today and I lost my appetite after watching the movie Food, Inc.

My plan for the summer, after I get over the grisly images from the movie, is to go to every Casper's (there are 8 of them) and rank them. Then, I will pit the best Casper's against the MacArthur Kasper's. I will cap it off with a visit to the closed Kasper's at the intersection of Shattuck and Telegraph. So stay tuned.

Update: Angela Hill of the Oakland Tribune clears up the Caspers / Kaspers story here.

3 comments:

wrallen99 said...

Actually, there's also Kasper's in San Leandro on Hesperian and in Fremont on Argonaut, among others. These are storefronts and harder to spot than Caspers, which are freestanding.

karen said...

one in castro valley and pleasanton too!

Maxichamp said...

@karen: Note that there are Casper's and then there are Kasper's!