Monday, November 17, 2008

10 Questions From A Guatemalan Barber


With my mane needing a trim, I went to an unassuming 3-chair barber shop in Guatemala. While cutting my hair, the barber had a lot of questions for me. I recite his questions here not to show his lack of knowledge, but to show a typical Guatemalan's perceptions of the United States.
  1. Where is Wall Street?
  2. What is a 7-11? (It was mentioned in a popular song in Guatemala.)
  3. Why are Americans called "Yanquis"?
  4. If Northerners are called Yankees, what are Southerners called?
  5. Were North Carolina and South Carolina divided because of the Civil War?
  6. How many people live in the U.S.?
  7. Which Chinatown is always shown in the movies?
  8. Are the barbers in the U.S. all Latinos?
  9. Did you vote for John McCain?
  10. Where is Spain in relation to the U.S. geographically?
CKY

No comments: