Sunday, September 12, 2021

Shining Path leader finally dead at 86


Guzman died in prison yesterday. In high school and college, I thought the Shining Path was the cruelest and most dangerous organization in the world. One of my college TAs was in Peru doing research on them in the 80s and 90s. This morning, I Googled her, found out she is a professor at the University of Georgia, and emailed her with the news. 

Anyway, while reading up on him, I learned that their deadliest bombing was in the Miraflores neighborhood of Lima in 1992. 


When I was in Lima in 2010 and 2018, I stayed in Miraflores. It's a nice and safe neighborhood with cool shops and great eateries. I wish I had known about its history and paid my respects at the bombing site.

Here is a map of the area. A shows the hotel where I stayed both times. B is Wong supermarket (kind of like Carrefour), where I bought all my provisions for my bus trips. C is Haiti Cafe, where I like to have breakfast. And D is the bombing site.



No comments: