Saturday, May 08, 2021

The Spy Who Loved Me movie review

Roger Moore's third movie:


Dave's review: The Spy Who Loved Me is everything a Bond film should be. It's easily the best of the Moore films. It's the film that inspired Christopher Nolan to make Tenet. It's the film that introduced Jaws, one of the most memorable Bond henchmen ever. Barbara Bach is stunning as Triple X. The storyline where 007 killed her lover infuses the movie with an extra degree of intrigue. Atlantis is a sight to behold and the use of Mozart's "Elvira Madigan" when it rises from the sea is music to my ears. The theme song "Nobody Does It Better" is also pitch perfect, as well as the use of the most locales for any Bond film. The scenes in Egypt in particular are enchanting. Finally, how bout that pre credits sequence when 007 skis off a mountain?! Still to this date one of the greatest stunts in cinematic history. This is a movie to be savored. 

TT's review: I need to watch For Your Eyes Only again to refresh my memory, because I'm fairly certain The Spy Who Loved Me is my favorite Moore Bond film. Sure, it's formulaic. It has the ski chase scene, the car chase scene, and the underwater chase scene. But they are all fantastic! Everything is just perfection. I particularly enjoyed the telephone van in the Sahara desert. And don't get me started on the iconic Lotus submarine. To top it off, up to that point, this must have been the least sexist and least racist Bond film. My only tiny complaint is that Stromburg was more grandfatherly than evil.

Dave's response: I thought Stromberg was fairly sinister, otherwise looks like we are in agreement that this is one of the best installments in the series. 

TT's response: We are in agreement!

Dave's grade: A+

TT's grade: A+


No comments: