Saturday, November 28, 2020

My Daily Driver: @jcreech3's Subaru Forester


1. How did you come to the decision of buying this car?

When it was time to get a new car I had some hyper specific criteria due to my short garage.  It had to be under 185 inches in length, fit two rear-facing car seats, and not cost an arm and a leg to lease along with some other nice to haves.  After a day of lugging a car seat up and down auto row I learned the hard way those are difficult criteria to meet and this was the best option of the bunch.  

2. What has your ownership experience been like?

Overall very good.  I haven't had to open the hood except for oil changes (knock on wood), it has all of the nice bits you expect in a new car like push button start, apple car play, automatic emergency braking, etc, etc.  It turns like a pig and is underpowered but it doesn't make any sporty pretenses. I like to pretend it is just a reliable 1990's Land Rover which keeps expectations in check.  I have had daily drivers in the past where every time I start it up I am competing in the Targa Florio and that leads to frustration when I am sitting in traffic. 

3. What is your fondest memory with this car?

I took it on an extended road trip from San Francisco to Chicago and back via Montana and I-90 on the way there and various bits of state routes south of I-70 through Utah, Colorado and Nevada going back.  It was a great car for taking the road less traveled because I didn't have to worry about ice, dirt, or crummy roads.  It isn't a fast car by any means but it does just fine at the far upper end of its capabilities.  

4. Why do you love cars?

My dad.  It was something we got to do together when I was a teenager.  We went on a lot of adventures together and the cars gave us a reason to go and spend time together.  As time goes by I am incredibly thankful for all of those memories and shared experiences.  To me cars are a physical manifestation of escapism as well as a representation of our best selves.  Day to day life might not be glamorous (especially with kids) but once in a while you can put the top down and spend a few hours driving down the coast.  

---
If you would like to participate, just answer the above four questions and submit one to three photos of your daily driver to milhousevanh at geemail. Thanks and have fun!

No comments: