Sunday, April 08, 2012

Happy Easter from...Tarzana!


Am unexpectedly at the Tarzana Inn right now.  My plan yesterday was to visit some friends and then drive three hours north of Los Angeles and spend the night at some random beach town past Santa Barbara.  But with just two hours of sleep the night before, I was exhausted by 4 p.m. yesterday, just 15 miles into my three hour drive.  So I pulled off the autopista (I've been listening to traffic reports on a Mexican radio station) and got a room at the Inn.

Had a truly L.A. moment at dinner.  While enjoying lamb chops at a Persian eatery (if lamb were more available, I'd happily give up beef), I was eavesdropping on the two Chicanas seated next to me.  One was complaining to her friend about her Iranian mother-in-law and a scheduling conflict between a baptism/mass and Passover.  There's not only a large Persian population here, there's an Iranian Jewish diaspora here as well.

Finally, during my epic 15 mile drive, I heard this piece on the effects of global warming.  Spring has sprung early here in the U.S.  Last month, over 7,000 temperature records were broken.  As a result of the earlier warm weather, crime is up, outdoor accidents/injuries have risen, and people are suffering from allergies longer.  At one point, it was 90 degrees (32 C) here yesterday!

And yes, Tarzana is named after Tarzan.  Only in L.A.

6 comments:

Zackswheels said...

It's nice knowing that there are a few of us car enthusiasts who acknowledge the scientific veracity of climate change. I feel like there needs to be a support group for Green friendly car guys...

Maxichamp said...

@cchanner83: I appreciate the irony (maybe hypocrisy) of a registered Green Party member (moi) driving a sedan that gets 15 miles to the gallon.

But in my defense, I walk to work and when possible, I take public transportation. And when I run weekend errands, I drive our Honda Civic.

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg was interviewed on Science Friday (an NPR show) last week and was vicious about science deniers.

Alan said...

Cchanner83 - I would join that group.

Kashgar - I'm in the same boat, and have three cars that average 19 MPG between them.

L.A. is great to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there - excuse the cliche, but it's true.

Incredible eating, museums, cultural diversity - just a cool, soulful place. But it's far too crowded and dirty for me, and I grew up near the heart of Chicago.

Edvin said...

I know the feeling, guys. I hate how common disregard towards the environment is among us car enthusiasts. Many of us seem to think all the environmental awareness of late is simply intentional bullying by the government. Some people even seem to take pride in polluting as much as possible.

I too consider myself environmentally conscious, but I also don't wanna give up my favorite hobby since I drive less than than the average motorist. I justify it to myself and those close to me with "It's better for the environment if I own this car, than someone who'd drive it a lot more".

P.S. Can't wait to stumble upon Batmana or some weirdly named equivalent soon. :)

Alan said...

Edvin - Batmana made me laugh out loud!

Maxichamp said...

@Edvin: I lol'ed too. But if you think about it, Batmana is just as ridiculous as Tarzana.

I grew up an hour away and I always assumed it was Spanish. I learned the name's origin yesterday on Wikipedia.

Famous residents include: Eva Longoria, Jamie Foxx, Kevin Federline (Britney Spears's ex), Lisa Kudrow, Michael J. Fox, Slash, and Steve Martin.