Sunday, August 08, 2021

Never Say Never Again movie review

Connery is back!


Dave's review: Never Say Never Again is good ol' fashioned fun. A remake of Thunderball, in many ways, it is better than its predecessor. Connery is ancient but still has that unmistakable charm. He is flanked by a simply outstanding cast including Kim Basinger as Domino, Klaus María Brandauer as the megalomaniac Largo and Barbara Carrera as the flirtatious and deadly Fatima. One of the best scenes of the movie is the video game for world domination, with physical pain the consequence to the loser. Where can I get one of those? And I wouldn't mind taking one of those pens too. All in all, what a satisfying way for the legendary Connery to make his swan song. 

Dave's grade: B+

TT's review: Is grade inflation a thing here? When I embarked on this journey with Dave, I thought most of the Connery and early Moore movies would get Cs, but I have been overly generous. This is a solid movie. Fatima Blush is my favorite non-Bond Bond character of all time. She was both batshit and had the raddest wardrobe. Her Renault R5 Turbo is also the tops. The actor who plays Largo is excellent. His smirks kill me! 

The only demerit is Connery himself. Who was his makeup artist?

I wonder how much the feel of this movie influenced War Games (also 1983), Miami Vice (1984), and D.A.R.Y.L. (1985). The archaeological dig scene at the end definitely had a Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) vibe.

TT's grade: A-

Dave's reaction: Barbara Carrera's costumes were indeed extraordinary. 

TT's reaction: Never Say Never Again was definitely a better version of Thunderball!


1 comment:

@slirt said...

I'd totally forgotten this movie exists (and have no recollection tho i'm sure i saw it)