Tuesday, September 13, 2011

1964 Ford Thunderbird convertible

The current owner bought this number in 1977 for $250.  It was so cheap because it had been in an accident.  The T-bird was T-boned on the passenger side.  The door ended up touching the driver's seat!


Since 1977, the owner has put in four (4) engines.  They are all the 390 cubic inch (6.4 liter) unit that came standard with the car.




This is my favorite shot.


The gauges and brightwork are mesmerizing.  It's literally art.  Note the steering column that swivels to the left and right to help with ingress and egress.







The font on the HVAC controls reminds me of the table top jukeboxes at '50s diners.  The protruding wires are for the non-functioning power convertible top.


3 speed automatic.



That door in the foreground belongs to the other El Camino (M.Y. 1983 with a V8).

5 comments:

Alan said...

One of my all-time favorite Detroit interiors - simply fantastic jet age stuff.

Alan said...

Also, astonishing he was able to repair such a banana'd car - the wonders of old school body-on-frame structures I guess.

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: I have to refer to urban dictionary everytime I read your comments. Banana'd.

Alan said...

I'M FROM THE STREETS, B#$%H!

Jesse said...

Worst speedometer design ever