Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Bulgarian Secret Police Auction

When I was a teenager, I thumbed through back issues of Auto Trader magazines until my fingers were inky black. In them, I would see ads for police auctions in which Corvettes seized from drug dealers could be had for $100. That never happened in real life.

An anonymous fan of this blog from Bulgaria gave me the heads up on a far more interesting auction. Last month, in Bulgaria, the secret police auctioned off 66 Soviet era sedans used to ferry around funny characters such as Fidel. The most interesting cars on offer included 20 Gaz Chaikas, which in its day was one step below the Zil.

The cars were auctioned off to clear garage space and to raise money. Word from my tipster is that the Bulgarian police refused to auction off their prized possession, former strongman Todor Zhivkov's Mercedes 600 Pullman Landaulet.







CKY

No comments: